Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Getting creative with veggies........

Since finding out a little over a month ago that I am diabetic, I've been playing around with creative dishes that are low in fat, high in protein, and contain a lot of vegetables. While I like vegetables, I get easily bored with the "normal veggies" that we typically buy - salad, carrots, celery, etc. Here are a couple of things I have recently tried. Both are really good.

The turkey Spinach saute' is my own creation and I make it as a whole meal - it makes about 4 servings.

The turnip puree is a great side. It is a bit more of a strong flavor, so it goes better with something like steak, pork chop, etc.

Turkey Spinach saute'

1 lb. ground turkey
1 med. red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
3 shallots (or one medium onion), thinly sliced
1 c. sliced mushrooms
1 t. minced garlic
12 oz. fresh spinach
3 T. Olive oil
Salt and pepper

In a saute' pan, brown the turkey in 1 T. olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.

In another pan saute the pepper, shallots, mushrooms and garlic in the remaining 2 T. of olive oil. When the vegetables are somewhat soft but not mushy add the 12 oz of spinach. Cook until the spinach is just wilted. Add cooked ground turkey. Add salt and pepper if needed.


Turnip Puree
(Adapted from Tyler Florence)

4 large turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 t. dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

Place turnips, milk, thyme and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to boil then simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until turnips are soft.

Drain turnips, reserving liquid. Place turnips in a food processor or blender, and puree, adding as much liquid back in as needed (about 1/2 cup). Makes about 4 servings.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Looks yummy! I keep meaning to post some of my oft-used recipes... I should do that sometime soon. :-)

Karen said...

Jeanette, you are amazing in the kitchen! How are your cupboards coming along?