Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Kitchen Disaster

I would really, really, like to do.....something. I'm quite at a loss for words. Mom asked Judy and I to make a batch of bread so we could give some of our beautiful loaves to their swimming teachers. After cooking supper, I taught Judy how to do so. The loaves were beautiful before they went in the oven. About halfway through the baking process, the power flickered. Just long enough to turn the oven off whilst my bread was baking. I didn't think about it, ( I was thinking of my bed!) and I went to check it and I proceeded to open the oven. Horror of horrors, the bread was flat, and was only half cooked because the oven had turned off fifteen minutes ago! ( I hadn't opened the oven until then because that messes up the loaves ability to rise properly) It had continued to rise in the oven. So much so that bread dough was on the bottom of the oven. Ugh! The kitchen smells smoky and burnt, and the bread is...well...there is no right way to describe it. Jeanette delicately described it as flat bread.

I'm going to go take it out of the oven. There is really nothing that can describe what I feel towards those six loaves of bread right now. (Can you become bitter over bread?)
I'm now going to go to bed and I'm thinking of Julie and Peter's visit. A much more encouraging topic to sleep on. And no, I don't think I'll be posting any pictures.:)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey, just think about all the batches of bread you've made that have turned out well! I can assure you that your ratio of good to bad is WAY better than mine. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Now that's something that just doesn't happen very often. "Kitchen" and "disaster" just don't go together in the Cole household, and considering the fact that it was a technical difficulty beyond your control, well, I'm not even sure you can honestly take credit for this rare event! : ) I hope you all are having lots of fun with Peter and Julie.

Sunshine said...

OK this sounds like a daily occurance in my kitchen...I need some serious help in the kitchen. I am so sorry because that is a HUGE mess - I have had to clean more ovens and stoves from more messes than I care to - so I can SO relate. I would LOVE to have a slice of your homemade bread - oh that sounds so divine! I hope that you were able to get it cleaned up without too many issues - you are (as are all of the Coles) - SO talented. Sunshine

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan said...

Oh, you make me laugh. Mind! I don't wish kitchen disasters on you; but your expressions of outrage made me laugh nearly to the point of tears. I am as sorry as it is possible to be in a state of such amusement. :)

Jonathan

P.S.: Oops, reposting. How does this work??

> I would really, really,
> like to do.....something.
> I'm quite at a loss for
> words.

> There is really nothing
> that can describe what I
> feel towards those six
> loaves of bread right now.