Thursday, March 29, 2007

Just for Peter

Below is the recipe you requested. :)

1 pkg oreos *
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
Two kinds of dipping chocolate **

Mash oreos until fine. I usually put them in a ziploc and use a rolling pin to mash them. A food processor would probably work as well.

Thoroughly blend in cream cheese (fingers are usually the best option on this one). Roll into small balls. If the mixture is too sticky to work with put it in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

Melt the chocolate and dip each ball and place on wax paper on a cookie sheet. The best way I have found to dip them it to place them on a toothpick and set it in the melted chocolate. Use a spoon to cover the ball with chocolate and then remove it with both the spoon and toothpick. If you just use a spoon, you will end up with huge globs of chocolate at the base of each bonbon, but if you use a toothpick the ball generally falls apart. The two together seem to work well. :)

Drizzle each bonbon with the opposite color of chocolate. This is easiest if you put the melted chocolate in a small ziploc and cut off a corner then drizzle. Thanks to Jeanette for this tip. :)

Place the cookie sheets in the freezer until chocolate is hard.

Now for more of my personal notes:

* Any kind of oreo is fine. I usually just use the regular but most recently I tried mint and they were really good as well.

**Almond Bark dark and white chocolate work really well for the dipping. :)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Peter L. said...

Thanks, Janessa! I have the feeling that once I make these I might see a spike in my popularity. Quick question; what size package of cream cheese do you usually use? Or do you just keep adding cream cheese until you get the right texture?

Janessa said...

Oops. I guess that is kind of important. I use the 8 ounce package.

Glad to help increase your popularity level. :)