Sunday, July 03, 2005

July...the perfect month for ice cream

I just tried this recipe for the first time today. It was actually on the side of our rock salt box. I have ignored recipes on boxes for years and have only recently discovered that most of them are REALLY good!

In some homemade ice cream the egg flavor is way too strong, but this one is much better (I think it's because the eggs are cooked).

French Vanilla Ice Cream

3 egg yolks (slightly beaten)
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 cup cream
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix sugar, salt and egg yolks. Pour on milk and mix thoroughly. Cook mixture in double broiler until it coats a spoon. Cool, strain, add cream, vanilla and freeze (according to directions on rock salt box...or bag, depending on which you get :-). Makes 1-1/4 quarts or 6-8 servings.

Oh, and just one quick note from my personal embarrassing experience.

Make sure that you use ROCK SALT and not regular salt. My first attempt at making ice cream I didn't realize there was much difference between the two. Needless to say, after my brother and a friend cranked it for two hours and there was not an ice crystal in sight, I had to admit that I must have done something wrong. Ah...you live and learn, right?

No comments: