Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Grandma's Recipes

I've been spending some time recently going through a recipe box of my mother's that contains both her recipes and my grandmother's recipes. Here are a few of them along with images of the actual hand-written recipes.

Aunt Alline's Broccoli
This recipe originated with my great aunt Alline, my grandmother's sister. I don't actually remember eating this one, but I was struck by the large amounts of butter/mayonaise/cheese. Truly a southern recipe. Paula Deen herself couldn't do much better.


1 box chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
1 small onion, sautéed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
¼ c. mayonnaise
1 cup shredded cheddar or American cheese
1 stick melted butter
1 c. Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix

1. Combine broccoli, onion, mushroom soup and mayonnaise. Pour in greased casserole dish.
2. Sprinkle cheese on top of broccoli mixture.
3. Combine melted butter and stuffing mix and pour on top of cheese.
4. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Grandma's Squash Casserole
This recipe brings back a million childhood memories. This was one of my very favorite things Grandma used to make when we went to visit. I loved it.


4 large squash (Zucchini or yellow)
2 large onions
1 can cream of mushroom soup
8 slices American cheese
1 c. ritz cracker crumbs

1. Cook onion and squash until tender.
2. Place ½ of squash mixture into baking dish.
3. Add cheese slices and then mushroom soup.
4. Add remaining squash mixture.
5. Top with cracker crumbs.
6. Bake at 350 until golden and bubbly.


Grandma's Banana Pudding
This recipe is my grandmother's recipe, but written down by my mother, so it is doubly special. One time when we went to Grandma's house, I remember sneaking to the fridge to see if she'd made banana pudding for us, and to my delight, she had!


1 5 ½ oz vanilla instant pudding mix
3 c. cold skim milk
2 c. whipped topping
50 Nilla wafers
4 large bananas

1. Prepare pudding as directed using 3 c. skim milk; fold in half of whipped topping.
2. Reserve 6 wafers and 1 banana. Slice remaining bananas.
3. Arrange a layer of wafers on the bottom of 2-qt round baking dish or bowl. Spread ¼ pudding over wafers; top with banana slices. Place wafers around sides of dish; continue layering wafers, pudding and bananas, ending with pudding.
4. Cover and chill 3 hours or until serving time. Slice remaining bananas. Garnish with banana slices, remaining 6 wafers and whipped topping.

8-10 servings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loooove Grandma's squash casserole. One of the few ways I like to eat squash!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to include the actual recipe cards (scanned) for the family recipes. My mother would be so honored to see her recipes shared in this way.

Mom

Jessica said...

Aha! Jeremy has never mentioned a family recipe for banana pudding, but I know it is one of his favorites. Unfortunately none of the rest of us can eat it, but it is worth having that in my back pocket to give him a treat now and then. Thanks! :-)