Tuesday, May 01, 2007

The Making of 6 Cherry Pies

So, we made our pie crusts and we baked 6 cherry pies to take to the Home School Legislative Day at the Capitol tomorrow. I had much help from Jed, Jeff and Judy with the crust, and thankfully, as you will see, Janessa put most of the pies together. Had I done them all, it probably would have turned out quite sad.


Jed has developed quite an interest in cooking. Here he is using my new food processor to make the pie dough. I think he's going to be a great cook. I just got him his first cookbook....I'm looking forward to cooking more with him!


Here Judy is putting ingredients into the processor. Not sure why she's smiling....probably because she didn't want me to take her picture.



And here is Jeffrey.....he was having entirely too much fun pushing the buttons.

Today I attempted to put the pies together. I say attempted, because although the crusts were flakey, well, you can see here that perhaps Jeanette needs to brush up on her pastry skills. It's obviously been a little too long......


Yes, you're seeing this correctly. I think the pastry was a bit too dry so it didn't stick together when it started baking which resulted in the eruption of Mt. Cherry Pie. Good thing I put the baking sheet under them........(Jeanette smiles sheepishly.)



At the end of the day, it was clear who the prize-winner really was. These are Janessa's pies. As usual, she has a much better feel for pastries, and in this case (well, generally in most cases), far more patience than me!


And that ends our story of the Making of 6 Cherry Pies.

2 comments:

Pat Cole said...

Thankfully I didn't make any cherry pies this round and escaped the camera making its way around.:) You know Jeanette, those pies are still so much better than that carrot cake!

hehe

Anonymous said...

What's up with the carrot cake? You may already do this, but when we have double crust pies, we always dip our finger in water and run it along the edge of the bottom crust before putting the top crust on. That helps them to stick together better, but that doesn't always work either. The apple pie I made recently would give evidence of that.