Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day...and I've Got Someone On My Mind


Well..yesterday was special. I spent the day with my sweetheart. Yes, there we are. Happy birthday sis!
In honor of her birthday, I made special homemade pitas. We're going to eat them tonight for her birthday meal. Here's the recipe.
2 packages dry yeast
2 C. warm water
1/2 t. honey
1/4 C. olive oil
1 T. salt
5 to 6 C. whole wheat flour
cornmeal

Now, I altered the recipe. With our bosch machine I mix the water, honey, olive oil, salt and half of the flour. After that is mixed I add the yeast and the rest of the flour. Then I followed their directions.:)
Shape dough into 8 to 10 balls. Cover and let rest for about 30 minutes.
Using a floured rolling pin, flatten each ball into a circle about 8 inches in diameter and about 1/8 in. thick. Dust 2 baking sheets with cornmeal, place 2 of the circles on each sheet, cover, and let rest for about 30 minutes.
The oven is set for 500 F.-very hot for these little breads, and therein lies the secret. Place 1 sheet on the lowest rack for 5 minutes. Do not open the oven during this first baking. After 5 minutes, transfer the sheet to a higher shelf and let it bake for 3 to 5 more minutes. The breads will puff up and be lightly browned when they're ready.

My first couple of pitas were interesting. One was completely flat, the other was quite puffy. I did figure it out and the rest of the pitas were more promising in the end result. We're all looking forward to celebrating Joanna's birthday this evening. (yes, her birthday was yesterday, but we waited a day because of scheduling difficulties:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I must say that you spent it with a girl growing into a fine young lady Jane. Me and my family wish you Joanna a happy belated birthday. A question though. How will you close the door now? Those pitas sound good though. We will have to try them out.

Joanna Cole said...

And answer to Cody question:

we have to use a pencil for now ... it makes it interesting.. to say the least... It makes it really hard to dress in the morning. a little worried about who might be outside the door. The bath room has been a great help these past couple of days!

Oh and thanks Jane for your sweet post.

Anonymous said...

Our heartiest of Birthday greetings for Joanna! Thanks for the pita bread recipe, Jane. I've always wanted one and knowing that someone has actually used this recipe might bolster my confidence.

Anonymous said...

JANE!!! Thank you so much for my Valentine surprise. You made my day!!!! *hugs* I love you Cole girls so much...BTW BLESSED HAPPY BIRTHDAY to JOANNA as well. Oh and special thanks to Janessa for my delivery. :) Hello to Judy and all the other Coles I have yet to mention. We must see eachother soon!!