Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Jeanette's Nutmeg Feather Cake

This recipe is always a hit. I got it out of an old Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. It's unique in that the feature of the cake is nutmeg.

1/4 c butter
1/4 c shortening
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 t vanilla
3 eggs
2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1 c. buttermilk or sour milk

Ok - I don't have any instructions written down. What I usually do is cream
the butter/shortening/and sugar. Then I add the vanilla and eggs and whip
until it's fluffy. Then I alternate between the dry ingredients and the
buttermilk/sour milk.

Oh, and don't overbeat - when I do this it tends to fall in the middle.

Bake in a greased pan at 350 for 30 minutes.

I usually frost with a buttercream frosting and dust with nutmeg. I’d post the recipe for the frosting but I usually just make it up. You should be able to find a good recipe in a cookbook or online. Or, in a pinch you can use a pre-made frosting too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can testify from personal experience that this is a WONDERFUL cake! Many's the slice I've enjoyed at a membership get-together, church potluck, etc. Mmmm...brings back wonderful memories. =)

~ Leah